HCR Status Report 6/14
Dear Friends of Huntley Community Radio (HCR),
In response to HCR’s most frequently asked question: “What’s Happening with the Radio Station?”, here’s HCR’s current update:
• HCR is on-schedule to “go live” by mid to late September, in time for an “open house” including tours of our studio and offices during Huntley Fall Fest.
• On May 30, the Huntley Park District (HPD) Board of Commissioners officially approved a HPD/HCR licensing agreement that gives HCR sole occupancy of needed office space in the HPD Deicke Park building.
• HCR moved into its Deicke Park building space on June 1. This office space contains built-in workstations, desks, and cabinets, but HCR now seeks donated office chairs for its volunteers and guests.
• Centegra HealthSystem became a “Double Platinum Level” sponsor of HCR by contributing a very generous donation to our station.
• Seventeen members of the newly formed HCR Programming Development Committee held their first meeting on June 7 to present and discuss a variety of program concepts. Further meetings will be held in sub-committees to develop these concepts into HCR programs.
• HCR has sufficient funds to purchase its radio station equipment and operate as an internet radio station through mid-2013. Additional funding is needed to continue HCR operations through 2013, and to purchase equipment and construct a tower to become a low-power FM station (LPFM). HCR will continue to actively seek funding to meet its financial needs.
• HCR will apply for a “Construction Permit” from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to prepare for its LPFM operation as soon as the FCC opens its LPFM application window which is anticipated by late summer.
• Huntley Community Radio will hold two identical social gatherings for its volunteers and prospective volunteers to mingle and learn about HCR volunteer opportunities on Sat. July 7, between 10:00am–12:00pm, and Sat. July 14 between 2:00pm–4:00pm. Please join us for either event in the Social Hall of the Park District Deicke Park Building. Light refreshments will be served, and a tour of the HCR studio and offices will be given.
• Check us out at www.facebook.com/huntleyradio . You don’t have to be a Facebook member to view our site. While at our site, click on “FAQs about HCR” to get answers to Frequently Asks Questions about HCR, and “HCR Programs” to see the template for our daily programming schedule. And if you have interest in volunteering, click on “Volunteer Here”. No broadcasting experience is necessary; you’ll receive formal and hands-on training.
• Our website is under development, but you can view its progress at www.huntleyradio.org